Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dentist Appt Results and Cracked Aligner

So 9 days into wearing my 3rd aligner (the first one with the attachments) I find that it fits pretty loose, and it's coming off waaaaay too easy.  I was really hoping that it had just done its job and loosened up.....but it was all just wishful thinking, because upon inspection, I found two good-sized cracks....one on each side on my top tray.  Not little ones either, big enough that it made the aligner feel a little floppy.  I was advised by my ortho office to move on to the next tray if I could...if not, go back.  It was kinda tough, but I got into tray 4.....which I wore for 3 weeks instead of two (ortho office didn't tell me to do that mind you, I just wore them longer than two weeks on the advice I've found online). 

I was also able to find a better way to remove them so I wouldn't break anymore trays.  I broke tray 3 by trying to remove both sides from the back...rather than removing little by little from one side, as the instructions say to do...so after the break I decided to try to go by the book, and it's working out much better for me.  I start on the side of my mouth without the crossbite and pull them down, while pushing out from the inside of my teeth where the attachments are.  This helps me to not bend them so much and I feel like a pro now!  :)

I'm currently on tray 5 and still don't see much difference, although my bite feels totally different.  I'm hoping with the next few trays I will see something, but we'll see.

I got fabulous news at the dentist a couple of weeks ago when I had my checkup and cleaning.  The hygenist could definately tell that I was flossing more, there were no cavities, and my gums have even improved!  Yay!!!  The dentist even told me he was proud of me for getting my teeth straightened.  He's so awesome...I was terrified to go to the dentist before I found him and his staff!

I did have a bit of a scare that I will share with you....anyone still in the decision making process may want to take this in as a "something to ask about before starting treatment" item...I was just poking around on a dental message board...(I don't know why I do it...lol) and read a post by a 30 something year old who was in dentures...full-blown dentures, and claimed that braces 7 years prior had cause her to lose all of her teeth!  Well I went into full-blown panic when I saw that and began to question whether I'd been checked out thoroughly enough to have my teeth staightened.  I kinda calmed myself by remembering that my ortho has a policy of not treating anyone who hasn't been cleared by their dentist...but it stayed in the back of my mind even so.  Well, when I went for my checkup....DrW pulled out my file and it was all the x-rays and photos that were taken by the ortho, so that put me right at ease knowing that the two of them are communicating.

Moral of that rambling tale.....ASK FIRST!  Find out what criteria they use to determine whether or not your roots will hold up to orthontics just for you own peace of mind if nothing else.  I was terrified that I'd spent all this money and was virtually ready to walk away...If there was a significant chance I'd lose my teeth within 10 years of treatment!

I feel better about it now, and am back to looking forward to a nice smile, but I really dropped the ball on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment