Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Camping with Invisalign

Camping with these and keeping the yuck factor down was a bit of a challenge for me.  For one thing, no running water.  Even with plenty of water to use, for some reason it just didn't seem the same not to be able to use a steady, warm stream of it to wash my hands and aligners.  I don't know if there was a real difference, but in my head, it just didn't seem right....haha....maybe I'm just neurotic though, I've always had a kind of weird hand washing obsession anyway. 

I didn't really miss being able to snack, but I have to admit, when the s'mores ingredients came out, I was a little bummed that I couldn't just spontaneously take part.  Not a big deal though.

I did notice something I hadn't before...I usually use room-temp water to swish with, because I'm more thorough that way as my teeth are sensitive to cold.  Well I had to use some bottled water out of the ice-chest and the cold made my aligners tighten up!  I thought that was really odd....and just goes to show how temp sensitive they are...so I'm guessing, when they say no hot soaks or drinks....they mean it!

I enjoyed our trip...but really looking foward to next summer when (fingers crossed) I will be done with this and won't have to be thinking about my teeth all the time. 

Also, I did have beer, and am happy to report that there are no apparent problems with drinking beer with these on.  I just made sure to swish with water pretty often, and brushed my teeth and cleaned my trays as usual.

This coming Thursday will be two weeks with my 2nd set in.  I will have to wear them until the 21st though because that's the first available ortho appt.  I'm kinda bummed about all that wasted time, but it may be a good thing, because our vacation is right before the appt and I won't have to worry about attachements, and tightness and all of that on our trip. 

Smoooooth sailing so far....I'm hoping it stays that way!

1 comment:

  1. I noticed my aligners getting tighter too when I drink cold water as opposed to room temp. I thought it was just me!

    ReplyDelete